Catalysts for change
It’s almost 22 years since my mother was killed. Thinking back to where my life was when that happened, I was underwater financially, exhausted by work, stressed out from a bad relationship, I had a roommate who was a perfectly fine person, but I don’t like having a roommate, I was thinking I was going to have to sell my house because couldn’t afford to keep it. Things were tough. And then my mother was murdered, and my life exploded. It became clear that everything had to change and so I sold my house and closed my practice and went traveling. And in the 22 years since then a lot has happened. I have traveled the world, met all kinds of amazing people, lived in a variety of interesting and unusual places, been very engaged politically, and to make a long story short now I find myself on Vancouver Island moving into a little trailer house in the country. Mother’s murder was a catalyst in my life. I’m not glad that happened to her, but I am glad for the changes that were catalyzed through that experience. So even the most horrific things that happen in our lives can sometimes be catalysts for positive meaningful change.

No comments:
Post a Comment