29 June 2008

It's hot and sunny here in southern Liguria. It's been hot and sunny for a little over a week. It's very bright and hot during the day, and then an hour or so before the sun sets behind the western mountains, the moisture collects in the air and changes the colors of the light, and there is a cool breeze blowing this moist air. It's lovely.

I just had company! A friend I met in New Orleans was here for a couple of days on his way back to Paris. Also my nephew was here just heading out on his open-ended solo journey. It was great to see the exchange between these two late 20's guys sharing questions, suggestions, experiences. i dropped my nephew off today. He stuck out his thumb, heading towards Rome.

I noticed, hanging out with those two, that I am not in my late 20's and don't feel up for any really physically challenging adventures. And I feel the loss of being that adaptable. I travelled around North America when I was in my late teens, but then spent the next 25 years mostly in one place. It's been nearly 3 and a half years since I set out on this journey. I love traveling, it's so exciting and fulfilling. I also like being in one place. It's an ongoing inner dialogue.

This vacation relax time here has been and continues to be really great. Life is slow. It gives me time to think.

1 comment:

White Wolf said...

I'm happy you are well.

I know what you mean by saying you are not in your 20's. When I took that Native american nature survival course the majority where in their 20's. It was quite challenging.
It makes me aware of the cycle of life.
I also feel the need to pass what I know to my children. But they are not listening.
Well I can understand. When I was at their age my father tried to pass on to me his knowledge about plants and trees. Only later I started to value this and worked hard to learn what I could have learned so easily.
Love
Arie